Tuesday 3 May 2011

Policy Police: Return of the repossessed #4

Episode 4 already. No Faren at all in this one, though it has happened before. Once I think. You can find the comic in THE STORIES tab, under the heading, Return of the Repossessed.

Up until this story, most episodes have been introduced with a sentence or two in Faren's voice, giving some context to what was to follow. However, cuz there are parts of the current story (like this episode) that Faren is not privy to, I did consider having some introductions in the Kid's voice. In the end, I followed Wittgenstein and decided that "whereof one cannot speak, thereof one must be silent."

While I was in Tokyo just recently I did a lot more traveling in lifts than I am used to. Our apartment was on the 12th floor, and a lot of shops are multi-level affairs. Anyway, the experience inspired me to set the second part of this episode in a lift. I had originally scripted the encounter to take place in a corridor, but I felt the claustrophobic environment of the lift would add to Tex's discomfort. Also it gives his little speech in Frame 19 the feel of an "elevator pitch" - that this was something he'd rehearsed for moments such as this. Though it doesn't really have the desired effect.

Talking of desired effect, the lift pictures haven't come out very well, but I've decided to go ahead and publish anyway. Might redo them over the next couple of days.

No comments:

Post a Comment